Cerwin Vega is a name that is synonymous with excellent audio equipment and has an enviable reputation among professionals that has been built up over the last 65 years. Their product range includes a huge array of powered speakers, amplifiers and mixers for artists and venues, and a home audio range of speakers. They have a reputation for powerful bass, so in this article we are examining their range of mobile speakers to see, after all these years, if Cerwin Vega still live up to their reputation. Welcome to the Cerwin Vega sub woofer.
The Best Cerwin Vega sub woofer
12″ Dual 4 Ohm HED Shallow Series Subwoofer – HS124D
- 12 in. Dual 4O - 1200W max - 250W RMS
- Dual voice coil
- Stamped-steel slim-mount frame with encapsulated motor
- Vented motor structure for optimal thermal heat dissipation
- Polycotton spider with spaced, woven-in tinsel wires
The HS124D is a 12” dual 4 Ohm HED shallow subwoofer with a stamped steel slim-mount frame and has an encapsulated and vented motor for optimal thermal heat dissipation. It is made using poly-cotton with spaced and woven in tinsel wires. The parabolic dust-cap is extremely rigid, and it has a universal mount gasket surround. This subwoofer has a nominal power of 250W and a maximum of 1200W. A mounting diameter of 11.14” is required with a depth of 3.81”. There are some reports that the maximum output on this model is exaggerated and some users claim that these unit burn out quite easily.
15″ 2400W Single 2-Ohm SPL Subwoofer – SPCL152
- 15" Single 2 ohm Stroker Pro Classic Series Subwoofer Power Handling: Peak: 2400 watts RMS: 1200 watts Recommended power: 1500 RMS
- Adjustable phase plug Double spiders: more power handling Detented adjustable voice coil control: Allows precise control of overall excursion, tune up to 15 percent in 5 percent increments
- Heavy cast aluminum industrial basket High density motor structure for higher power handling
- Klippel DA optimized motor and suspension symmetry Push terminals 4" Single-layer high temperature voice coil
This 15” 2400W subwoofer has a heavy-duty industrial cast aluminium basket and an advanced voice coil heatsink for improved thermal dissipation. The 4” single layer high temperature voice coil has a black coated former and a detented Xmax control for very precise tuning in 5% increments. The motor structure has a high B/L foe extreme power handling. A mounting diameter of 13.85” is required with a depth of 8.15”. Equipped with push terminals this is easy to connect. This unit produces an extremely tight, controlled, and powerful output.
Single 12″ 1000W 2-Ohm Passive Subwoofer Enclosure – H7SE12
- Power Handling: Peak: 1000W Total RMS: 250W Total
- Final Impedance: 2 ohms
- Preloaded with single 12" HED Series Subwoofers
- Sealed enclosure with black carpet finish
- Enclosure Dimensions: 14" D x 22" W x 6.5" H
This sealed enclosure has a black carpet finish and is fitted with a single 12” 2-ohm passive subwoofer with a 250W RMS / 1000W maximum power handling driver with a 2” four-layer voice coil. The enclosure measures 22” x 14” x 6.25”. This is a very powerful unit given its compact dimensions and is easy to fit with minimal space requirements. It can be mounted both vertically and horizontally and the mounting hardware is included. This produces a good deep bass when paired with a suitable amplifier.
All the versions discussed come with comprehensive instructions which include details for those wishing to self-install, however, the manufacturer recommends that these are installed by professionals and that they are gradually broken in by using at a low to medium volume with bass heavy music for a period of 20 hours prior to cranking up the volume as this will increase their lifespan considerably.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about: