Table of Contents
Best Portable Speakers under £100
SO, what are the Best Portable Speakers under £100? There are thousands of models of portable speaker now available from both well-known brands and many low-cost units from China. If you are looking for a reasonably priced and good quality portable speaker, there are several factors to consider.
- Sound Characteristics – Consider the type of content that you listen to. If, for example, your main use is for music, decide whether you want a well-rounded sound or would prefer heavy bass. If the speaker is to be used for entertaining guests, consider a unit with a louder output. For listening to spoken word content such as podcasts or audiobooks the clarity of sound may be of importance.
- Build Quality – If you intend to use the device outdoors then a sturdy device that can withstand a few knocks is essential. For those that want to go a step further and use the speaker at the beach or by the pool then the IP (ingress protection) rating of the device will indicate how resistant it is to both particulates and water.
- Size – Consider how the device will be transported. If you intend to just move it from room to room in a home and maybe just use it in the garden then size is less of an issue than for someone who intends to take the speaker with them, maybe in a backpack or pocket.
- Battery Life – Be realistic with your expectations. Decide how long you are likely to need the speaker to be away from a charging point in real world situation. Larger batteries add bulk and often take longer to charge, whereas some devices sacrifice performance in order to improve battery performance.
- Bonus Features – Compatibility with smart assistants, SD card inputs, dual-use of speaker as a portable power bank, auxiliary inputs and ability of the speaker to be used as a speakerphone are all features that enhance the versatility of a speaker but consider which of these features you will actually use.
Its best to make a shortlist of those features that are essential for your requirements and those that are just nice to have and go from there.
JBL Charge 4
- Intense Sound & Deep Bass - Full-spectrum, top quality, powerful speakers and a built-in power bank - all in one! / Discover what fits you from our suite of cool colors
- Your music, non-stop - High-capacity 7500mAh rechargeable battery lasts up to 20hrs on a single charge / Dual USB charging port / Keep that party going all day long!
- Quality sound, wherever you go - Charge 4 is fully waterproof (IPX7) so live free from worry of rain or spills / Perfect design for pools or the beach - go ahead, dive in!
- Share the playlist - Wireless Bluetooth Streaming connects up to 2 devices (i.e; tablet and smartphone) and enjoy high-quality stereo sound
- Items delivered: 1x JBL Charge 4 portable wireless speaker in black / Amplify your party with JBL Connect+ - connect more than 100 enabled devices / Power adaptor and charging cable included
Available in a variety of colours, the JBL Charge 4 is a rugged and waterproof speaker (IPX7) with a high capacity 7500mAh battery that powers the unit for up to 20 hours and can also be used to charge a mobile phone using a dual USB charging port. This is an excellent feature when away from home at the beach for example and can prevent your phone from becoming totally drained. It can connect to two devices simultaneously and weighs just under 1kg. An innovative feature is JBL Connect+ which allows up to 100 different models of speaker to interconnect with each other. There is also an auxiliary input socket.
The sound profile is suited to most types of music and spoken word content, however there is an emphasis on the bass and the output is powerful with a rating of 30W. In addition to the power outlet for charging external devices, the rear of the unit has a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting external sound sources.
Unfortunately, this model has limited smart features and is not integrated with Alexa or other services. The absence of a speakerphone may be a deal breaker for some. Most users have commented on their satisfaction with the unit, especially commending the sound quality and battery life. JBL has a heritage of producing big sounding speakers and this model is no exception. It’s one of the Best Portable Speakers under £100.
Ultimate Ears Megaboom
- UE Megaboom is the 360° wireless bluetooth speaker that offers bold, immersive sound in every direction
- Ultimate Ears wireless speaker system with dual-performance drivers that pump out clear mids and vibrant highs
- Colourful acoustic skin with plasma coating makes the UE megaboom outdoor speakers water and stain resistant
- The portable speaker's 20-hours rechargeable battery gives you non-stop music
Ultimate Ears speakers are instantly recognisable due to their unique design and various options are available which share certain characteristics – they are fully waterproof, extremely rugged, and have excellent levels of bass.
Available in a range of colours and options, the Megaboom is a 360-degree speaker that fires out sound in every direction. It has a 20-hour battery life and is quick to recharge via micro-USB. Multiple units can be connected to create a stereo spatial effect. In addition to Bluetooth connectivity with a 30m range, this device has a 3.5mm auxiliary input and doubles as a speakerphone. There is also a basic app for connecting multiple units and firmware updates.
This speaker has gone through over 25 durability tests, including tumbles, button abuse, drop tests, and much more. As a rugged and waterproof speaker, this unit is best used outdoors or around a pool. Users report that the sound quality is good and that it is durable, although some have mentioned that the battery self-drains when not in use.
- Incredible Sound Loved by 20 Million+ People
- Media Acclaimed: Tech Radar says Motion+ has "Excellent audio performance" and Best Product says "It's the best speaker $100 can buy".
- Hi-Res Audio: Anker Soundcore Motion+ Bluetooth speaker is equipped with stunning Hi-Res audio which is further enhanced by Qualcomm aptX for lossless music reproduction when streaming via Bluetooth.
- Huge Sound with Intense Bass: Packed with two ultra-high frequency tweeters, two neodymium woofers, and two passive radiators to fill every corner of your room with 30W of rich sound. Low frequencies are enhanced in real-time by our exclusive BassUpTM technology.
- Exceptional Depth and Clarity: Anker Soundcore Motion+ Bluetooth speaker has an ultra-wide frequency range that stretches from 50 Hz to 40 kHz and is paired with an advanced DSP to ensure all the details and idiosyncrasies of a song are faithfully reproduced.
Soundcore is an audio division of Anker and has built up quite a reputation for producing budget friendly speakers and headphones without compromising on features or quality. While they do not have the style or innovation of some of their rivals their equipment is a solid choice. The Soundcore Motion+ Bluetooth speaker has an output of 30W and is Hi-Res audio certified by Qualcomm. The battery life is rated at 12 hours and the speaker is splash resistant to IPX7 standards. A built-in microphone makes it suitable for use as a speakerphone and the unit weighs just over 1kg.
The driver array consists of two 40kHz ultra frequency tweeters, two neodymium woofers and a passive bass radiator. Together, these offer an exceptionally wide frequency range for incredible clarity. Two of these speakers can be connected for a wider field stereo effect. The Soundcore app allows customisation of the sound using its equaliser.
Users are impressed with the sound quality, although some have commented that it degrades at higher volume levels. The build quality is often commended; however, the rubberised coating attracts dirt and fingerprint marks.
- With up to 30 hours of battery, enough for the whole weekend, wireless - great for festivals and sunny days at the park
- 15 watts of power with a custom 52mm speaker driver, serious amounts of power, making it the loudest portable speaker of its size
- Deep powerful bass with crisp balanced sound, great for all types of music - unbelievable for its size
- Pop it in your pocket and take the party with you wherever you plan to go, all within a perfect tube (84mm x 53mm)
- Designed and built in Bristol, United Kingdom, hand built by a passionate team of music enthusiasts from DJs to bass guitar players
The Minirig Mini was designed over a period of 2 years by a strong team of experienced UK based audio engineers and designers and each unit is hand assembled. With 30hrs of battery, 15watts of power, Bluetooth connectivity using aptX, Android & IOS app which unlocks even more features from speaker EQ to energy-saving mode (even more battery life), and a headphone receiver mode which allows you to enjoy music through your headphones using the Minirig Mini as a receiver. This is all housed in a small aluminium enclosure complemented by strong ABS caps with a vibration-free silicone base.
Do not be put off by the diminutive size of these units – they are extremely powerful. The emphasis is on the bass; however, they are clear throughout the spectrum and the sound can be easily customised. In addition to Bluetooth connectivity there is also a 3.5mm auxiliary input. The Minirig can be used in combination with a subwoofer unit and other Minirig speakers in a daisy-chain configuration to make them sound very loud and they are available in several different colour options to match your own style.
Users are very impressed by both the sound quality and battery life, although some have mentioned issues with Bluetooth connectivity and a decline in battery life over time.
Ultimate Ears WonderBoom
- Big Sound: The Ultimate Ears wonderboom waterproof wireless speaker produces surprisingly big sound packed in a highly portable bluetooth speaker. Customer Support Number +44 (0)203 024 81 59. Customer Support Number +44 (0)203 024 81 59
- 10-hours battery life: This rechargeable waterproof Bluetooth speaker won’t let you down with a long-lasting 10-hours battery lifespan
- Ideal for outdoor or indoor use: The wonderboom bluetooth speaker is ideal for showers, pools, beaches and more - the portable speaker is shockproof, waterproof and it even floats
- Easy to clean: Thanks to its high-quality material, the Ultimate Ears wonderboom speaker is incredibly easy to clean so you can take this portable speaker to muddy fields or out on rainy days and simply rinse clean if it gets dirty
- Dual-speaker system: While the UE wonderboom is a single unit, it can be paired with another wonderboom to double the sound; these wireless bluetooth mini-speakers can work together to produce a more powerful sound
Ultimate ears are one of the world’s most popular consumer Bluetooth speaker brands. They have a focus on creating fun and well thought out products that fit well into an active lifestyle. The Wonderboom is one of their most highly praised unit, and although it has been replaced by the WonderBoom 2 in recent years, the cost differential makes the original a good buy despite lacking a few features seen on the newer device.
The sound quality, whole not quite as good as the MiniRig, is still excellent given the size of the unit and has plenty of bass. It is a rugged unit with a hard-wearing cloth exterior meaning it will not show up scratches like a plastic speaker. The controls are large and easy to find and use. This speaker is IPX67 rated so it is both waterproof and dust resistant and if will actually float if you throw it in the pool. Various videos of this unit being seriously misused are available, with the unit being thrown against walls and floors with seemingly no damage – it is very shockproof.
Additional bonus functions include a lanyard loop at the top so you can clip the speakers to objects, and you can also pair two speakers together to create a true stereo experience. Unfortunately, there is no app and customisation of the sound profile is limited. Battery life is 12 hours which is acceptable but not among the best, however there is a fast charge feature for when time is limited.
Tribit StormBox Micro
Bluetooth Speaker Tribit StormBox Micro Shower Speakers with Powerful Loud Sound, Wireless Stereo Pairing, IP67 Waterproof & Dustproof Outdoor Biking Speaker, Built-in XBass (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers
- [CNET'S AWARD]: Cnet's choice for "The best portable mini Bluetooth speaker".
- [SIZE-DEFYING SOUND]:Tribit StormBox Micro bluetooth speaker may be small, but it is both loud and powerful, making it definitely the life of any party! Regardless of the type of tunes you play, full-sounding mids and trebels will bring your music to life.
- [SURPRISINGLY WEIGHTY BASS]: Adopt exclusive built-in XBass tuning DSP technology, This outstanding wireless speaker will reward you with more extension bass. A resoundingly deep bass will surprise you with its versatility in handling different genres.
- [100% WATERPROOF]:IP67 means this portable speaker has unparalleled water and dust protection. Waterproof technology, plus fabric-covered exterior, will keep it safe and in good working order if it falls into the water, even if it is soapy or salty.
- [ADVENTURE-READY]:Take this outdoor speaker as a perfect companion to rock climbing, cycling or hiking, and be prepared to take your experience up a notch. Attach the tear-resistant silicone strap to handlebars or backpacks, it’ll hold tight every time.
If you are looking for something smaller, the Tribit might fit the bill, and despite its size it produces a loud and powerful sound that has less emphasis on bass than some of its rivals and is quite well balanced and its rugged design suits outdoor use.
The speaker’s top surface is wrapped in a fabric that’s water- and dustproof, and features volume controls and a multi-function button. The underside of the speaker is covered in a harder, tougher material and is also where you will find a flexible tear-resistant strap, so you can connect the Stormbox Micro to the handlebar of a bicycle or to a backpack or even a shower rail. It is a thoughtful design touch that gives the speaker added versatility.
At just 98 x 98.x 35mm, this unit is extremely small and will easily fit in a backpack or even handbag, but slightly too large for a pocket. On the front face are the power and Bluetooth pairing buttons, with an LED indicator in the middle that covers both the status of the speaker and battery life. On the right-hand side of the speaker is the USB-C port for charging. The Stormbox Micro is well-suited to cope with indoor and outdoor environments. A rating of IP67 means it is insulated against dust and can be dropped in a body of water 1m deep for 30 minutes.
Connectivity is Bluetooth 5.0 with what Tribit claims is a 100-ft range (30m) and the battery life is shorter than the larger units at just 8 hours, which is good enough for most scenarios. Users are generally pleased with the price and features as well as the sound quality which is perfectly adequate for most uses.
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay P2
- The portable P2 Bluetooth speaker provides quality audio when and where you want. This splash and dust-resistant speaker fits in the palm of your hand and slips into a pocket for easy transport.
- This wireless speaker personalizes audio with smart features like snooze and voice activation, accessible with a shake or a tap. The Beoplay App even lets you match sound profiles to activities.
- A mini speaker with big sound, P2 delivers Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound for a clear audio experience. This speaker is equipped with a built-in microphone for clear calling and voice activation.
- The P2 looks and feels as good as it sounds. A smooth, pearl-blasted, anodized aluminum grill over a polymer frame offers durability, while a leather strap makes it easy to bring your music along.
- Keep the music going with the powerful battery in this wireless speaker. The P2 offers up to 10 hours of playtime per charge, and an included USB-C cable ensures that you’ll always have back up.
If style, reputation, and sound quality are your main consideration then this model from Bang & Olufsen may suit. This unit does not have some of the bells and whistles seen on other devices, however it produces a wonderfully rich sound that is exceptionally clear and well balanced.
The Beoplay P2 is a little different from other Bluetooth speakers. Not only does it offer exceptional performance for such a small package, but it blurs the lines between smart and dumb speakers with its gesture and voice controls. The controls are not immediately visible and apart from the on and off control on the bottom of the unit everything else is controlled by voice or gestures.
Inside, there is just one tweeter and one mid-range driver, producing a mono sound, however due to the way this has been designed, and despite the tiny dimensions of this unit, it produces a wide and well-rounded sound with some emphasis on the bass, but not to the point where this is overwhelming, unlike some other unit do. Battery life is around 10 hours.
Most users are very happy with the sound quality; however, some have mentioned that they have experienced problems with both the phone app and with some streaming services.
If you have enjoyed this article on the Best Portable Speakers under £100 you might also like to read about these speakers with Alexa.