There are hundreds of options available when considering which computer speakers to buy so it is important to evaluate your requirements before committing to any specific models. For example, you may have limited desk space so a compact option may have to suffice, or you may be interested in gaming which may require a surround sound set-up. If they are only to be used for music, then sound quality is important and depending on the type of music you like you may need a subwoofer. Do you intend to connect other devices to the speakers other than the computer? If so, extra input ports or Bluetooth options may be required. We will examine various options that cover the above requirements that are competitively priced at under £100.
What are the Best Computer Speakers under £100?
Best All Rounder – Logitech Z407
- IMMERSIVE SOUND – The expertly tuned 21 speaker system features 80 watts of peak power and 40-watt RMS Digital signal processing offers a balanced sound profile and enhanced bass, so you experience immersive, lifelike sound – from crisp high notes to powerful mid- and low-range notes – with no compromise on the rich, deep bass
- STRONG BASS WITH GREAT CLARITY – 20-watt bass with digital signal processing produces deep yet clear bass and superior sound performance The ported, down-firing subwoofer adds “boom” to music, movies and gaming while maintaining a rich, crisp sound
- ONE DIAL FOR TOTAL WIRELESS CONTROL – With a 30-metre (100-foot) line of sight range, the wireless control dial lets you adjust your sound from across the room Tap it and spin it to play, pause and mute, and control volume and bass It’s easy, and you don’t even have to get off the couch
This speaker / sub-woofer combo has an extensive range of features that may cover the requirements of most users. In addition to being priced extremely competitively, this option features multiple connectivity options including a 3.5mm input, USB, Bluetooth, a wireless control unit and slightly short 1.2m length cables. It can connect to multiple sources simultaneously such as phones, tablets, gaming laptops and a standard PC. The desktop satellite speakers are compact as is the sub-woofer which can be placed under a desk. The desktop speakers can be positioned both horizontally and vertically. The wireless control unit is excellent for controlling and selecting media for playback which is accomplished using a rotational knob which also doubles as a volume control and can mute the unit if required. This system is loud at 40 watts RMS and has plenty of bass.
Best Low-Cost 2.1 system – Creative Pebble Plus
- POWERFUL DOWN-FIRING SUBWOOFER | The Creative Pebble Plus features a newly designed standalone 4” down-firing ported subwoofer for remarkable power and depth, providing a significant audio performance upgrade over its predecessor
- 45° ELEVATED DRIVERS | Featuring 2” mid-range drivers that are elevated at 45°, the Pebble Plus speakers are specifically angled towards you, providing the best soundstage while ensuring that you are the centre of attention
- HIGH GAIN MODE | Bring out the most of the Creative Pebble Plus! With a simple switch of a button, access the High Gain Mode to increase the power output to 8W RMS with a 5V 2A USB adapter (not included) for stronger bass performance and room-filling audio — at no loss to audio quality
- EASY ACCESS VOLUME CONTROLS | The volume controls are conveniently located at the front of the speakers for easy and hassle-free access
- USB-POWERED FOR ADDED CONVENIENCE | Powered entirely by USB and connected to your devices via a universal 3.5mm AUX-in cable, the Pebble Plus eliminates the need for a wall socket while doubling up on bass with its external subwoofer
There is a huge range of choice in the budget speaker segment of the market, so it is easy to become overwhelmed. Creative is a company with a long-standing reputation for excellence and their Pebble Plus system stands out from the crowd when it comes to compact systems with big sound. This system consists of two pebble shaped desk top tweeter units with a 2” diameter and a 4” subwoofer. The speakers are angled at 45 degrees to enhance the soundstage and deliver the sound directly to the user. Connectivity is limited to a 3.5mm input only and the only control is a knob mounted to the front of the right speaker which turns the unit on and adjusts the volume. The sound output is crisp and clear, although at only 8 watts there is some distortion at higher volume levels and may not be suitable for large spaces or where a powerful output is required. The compact nature of these speakers means they are suitable for small desks and cramped spaces. Another benefit is that this system is entirely powered by USB so there is no need for a separate mains plug and power consumption will be zero when the computer is powered off.
Best 5.1 Surround Option – Trust Gaming GXT658 Tytan 5.1
- [SOUND OF VICTORY] The 5.1 speaker set, including 5 speakers, 1 subwoofer and a 180W power output, will immerse you with powerful surround sound
- [LIGHT UP] The blue LED-illuminated wooden subwoofer is synced with the bass, so it will light up to the rhythm of your music or game
- [EASY CONNECTION] With these 5.1 PC speakers, you can enjoy impressive sound on any PC or laptop, thanks to a simple connection with a 3.5mm cable
- [WIRELESS CONTROL] Control the volume, adjust the bass and select input without having to reach over to the surround set, thanks to the wireless remote control
- [SMART POWER] Don’t worry about wasting power, the gaming speakers will automatically go to stand-by mode when not in use
When it comes to 5.1 systems, options are limited in the under £100 price range, however, of those available the Trust GX658 offers a decent performance. This set consists of 4 surround speakers, a center speaker, and a sub-woofer. Output is rated at 180 watts and this set comes with a remote-control unit which can adjust both volume and bass and can also select the input source, however input is limited to 3.5mm connection jacks and there is no Bluetooth or optical input.
This system automatically goes into a power saving mode when not in use. Cables are longer than those supplied with most systems. An interesting feature is the presence of an LED light which surrounds the cone on the subwoofer and pulsates in tune with whatever is being played. Users report that the system is loud with plenty of bass, although some comment that the sound lacks clarity and that the bass is too prominent even when dialed down. Build quality is average but acceptable for the price. This is a bulky option not suited for use where there are space limitations and cable routing may be a consideration as the wiring can look untidy if not routed correctly.
Best Audiophile Option – Alesis Elevate 5 MKII
- Powerful, room-filling sound - Separate high-and low-frequency drivers with crossover; 40 per channel output power - 80 W total
- Superior clarity - 5-Inch low-frequency driver in ported enclosure delivers rich, tight bass; 1-Inch silk dome tweeter provides smooth, clear highs
- Precision engineered - High-density wood cabinets suppress unwanted resonances; carefully formed baffle radiuses reduce edge diffraction
- Hear every detail - Elliptical tweeter waveguide optimizes dispersion and stereo imaging
- Feel the bass - Dedicated subwoofer output for use with virtually any powered subwoofer
These precision engineered speakers have high density wood cabinets which suppress unwanted resonances as opposed to the plastic designs used by most manufacturers. You only get two speakers; however, they have a total output of 80 Watts with a silk dome tweeter and a 5-inch low frequency driver and a port to connect a subwoofer if required (not included although compatible with any powered subwoofer).
The elliptical tweeter waveguides optimize dispersion and enhance stereo imaging. These are large units so plenty of desk space is required, however the user is rewarded with an impressively crisp clarity of sound and plenty of bass. Connectivity wise these are wired only speakers and do not have Bluetooth. These are an interesting option in this price segment most suited to a cost-conscious audiophile user who may want to expand with the addition of a dedicated sub-woofer at a later date.
Best Budget Option – Logitech Z200
- Rich Acoustics : These multimedia speakers deliver rich, clear stereo sound with its 10 Watts peak power or 5 Watts RMS power from two 2.5-Inch drivers per speaker - enough power to produce room-filling audio for your music, movies or videos
- Easy Access : For fingertip control of your hifi listening experience, this stereo speaker set up has volume level and power controls built on the front panel for easy access
- Customisable Bass : Each wired stereo mini-speaker comes with a driver tuned for deep bass sounds, with an integrated tone control wheel on the side - allowing you to adjust sounds to suit your listening experience
- Dual Connectivity : This portable PC speaker set up provides two 3.5 mm audio inputs, including auxiliary line, that works with most smartphones, tablets and laptops - meaning you can listen to 2 devices at the same time without disconnecting
- Optional Privacy : If you need to listen to sound without everyone listening in, these multimedia speakers come built with a headphone cable jack - for instant privacy should you need it
This simple option consists of a pair of attractive speakers with metallic effect stands that slightly angle the speakers towards the user to direct the sound more optimally. This option only has a 10-watt peak output, and they are very compact making them mostly suited to small offices or bedrooms where a dynamic output is not required. Controls consist of a front mounted dial for powering on and controlling volume levels and a side mounted tone wheel. There are two 3.5mm inputs so for example a smartphone can be connected in addition to the computer, and there is also a headphone socket. Sound is acceptable although slightly lacking in bass. One thing to note is that although these appear to have two drivers on each speaker, one is either passive or purely decorative – it is not connected electrically inside. This model has been around for several years and users report that is has good longevity and reliability.