Gaming headsets are a dime a dozen these days and they can all be summed up in the same way. Plastic builds, exaggerated bass, chunky looks and bloated prices. It’s like someone decided that gamers enjoy big pieces of plastic protruding from the sides of their heads while big booms blast in their ears. You can’t even take these things out and about because you’ll look like a literal space cadet. If you’re reading all of this while nodding your head, you’re probably also wondering if there’s any hope for a solid headset for gaming that breaks this mould. And there is. The V-Moda Crossfade M100 headset may not be a dedicated pair of gaming cans but it addresses all of the above complaints and then some.
I’ve been using these headphones for over 3 years for gaming, Twitch streaming and as my daily drivers. To this day, I’ve been hard-pressed to find a headset for gamers that is as versatile, feature-rich and that sounds as amazing as the M100.
The amount of plastic that goes around with gaming headsets is staggering, to say the least. Not only does the plastic make them look and feel cheap, but also it makes them fragile. My headband snap-factor from taking gaming headphones on and off my head is quite strong and I don’t even have a big head.
The V-Moda Crossfade M100 completely forgoes this trend with a solid and lightweight metal build. These headphones have been with me everywhere, have been twisted, turned, taken on and off, been tossed into bags stuff with other junk and they’re still like brand new. The foldable joints that connect the cup frames to the headband look too think for comfort but they’re actually solidly built. I’ve only ever had to tighten the small screws once since I’ve bought them.
The comfort level of the Crossfade M100 is also through the roof. Despite an almost all-metal construction, these headphones never feel heavy even during extended stretches of livestreaming, late-night game binging and long-haul flights. Forget about the “space cadet” look of gaming headsets. These bad boys have been built for style. The cans barely protrude from your head and the headband hugs around the human skull naturally and inconspicuously.
The main problem with gaming headsets is that they’re built under the assumption that you want to hear explosions. There’s no other explanation or excuse for having such exaggerated bass levels. But not all games have explosions and not everyone wants a headset exclusively designed for Call of Duty. V-Moda’s Crossfade M100 is not 100% gaming-focused and that’s the beauty of it. The audio levels in these things are superb and well-balanced. The bass is high enough to make every effect sound impactful. Teammate voices come through with warm and crystal clear tone. All of this without overpowering the mid and high ranges so that you can enjoy tunes of all styles, whether in-game or out and about.
As for mic quality, this is where the V-Moda M100 really shines. The included Kevlar braided cable has an in-line mic which sounds clear with some decent audio rejection. However, for gaming, you may want to pick up the V-Moda BoomPro Mic. Its superior audio rejection and crystal clear sound make it the ideal choice for gaming with others. Its in-line controls include volume adjustment and a mute switch. Like the included cable, the BoomPro Mic is also made of a Kevlar braiding which is sturdy and can take a beating.
Modularity & Features
Just now we mentioned the V-Moda Crossfade M100 has swappable cables and this is one of the headset’s most defining features that makes it versatile and adaptable. Included in the box, you’ll get the regular SpeakEasy cable with the inline mic and a single button which works great for controlling music in iOS devices. There’s also a SharePlay cable with its own audio output jack so you can share your music with others. For Android device owners, you’ll want to pick up the SpeakEasy 3-button cable for better audio control. All of V-Moda’s cables are Kevlar braided for extra durability and reliability.
Both of the M100’s cans have an audio jack which means you can plug your cables in whichever side is more comfortable to you. Even better – and a feature I didn’t know I needed – you can plug two separate audio sources into the headphones. You can plug into one, for instance, your phone to listen to Spotify and in the other, you can have your game and chat. Both audio sources will come through at the same time, though you’ll need to play around with the individual volume levels. This feature adds plenty of flexibility for livestreaming as well as you often want to hear certain audio sources without them going through to your audience.
The final cherry on top of the V-Moda Crossfade M100 goodness is its customizability thanks to the engravable shields. V-Moda has a wide selection of styles, colors and materials for you to make the perfect pair of shields to personalize your cans even further. All you need to do is head over to V-Moda’s website and use their customization tool to design your shields the way you want them. There are also pre-designed shield kits to pick and choose from.
There’s a lot to love about the V-Mod Crossfade M100 headset. The best part, though, is that it can be the last pair of headphones you ever buy. Its modularity and features make them flexible enough to be used in a variety of situations, including gaming and livestreaming. The build quality makes them the perfect travel and commute companion so you can listen to your tunes and podcasts everywhere you go. More importantly, their durable yet lightweight metal construction, as well as the Kevlar braided cables, means that this is a pair of headphones that will last you a long time.
V-Moda Crossfade M100 Master:
- V-MODA award-winning signature sound (50+ Editors’ Choice Awards)
- Built to Last – Metal build, Steelflex headband + Improved Sweat Resistance
- Dual-diaphragm 50mm drivers with CCAW Japanese coil deliver exciting bass and unparalleled clarity (Hi-Res Audio certified by Japan Audio Society)
- Large memory foam cushions and 100% vegan leather headband provide superior comfort for extended listening sessions
- Folds into the impossibly small protective Exoskeleton case via the iconic CliqFold hinge
- State-of-the-art mic for communication and gaming featuring enhanced voice clarity and background noise reduction
- Ideal for working from home and gaming
- Detachable for maximum compatibility and usage; flexible arm for perfect mic positioning
- Convenient control clip with in-line mute switch and rotary volume controls
SpeakEasy 3-Button Cable:
- Reinforced cable (can withstand over 1 million bends, 100x industry standard)
- 24k gold plated plug
- Mic & Remote for seamless transition between music and calls
- Headphone compatibility - V-MODA Crossfade series (Crossfade 2 Wireless, Wireless, M-100, LP2, LP, XS, M-80 & V-80)
- Source Compatibility- Audio: Universal 3.5mm (1/8") ports; Microphone: all smartphones, tablets, and newer notebooks including Apple and Samsung, devices running iOS, Android, or Windows- Amazon Kindles or Blackberry; Remote: works with all Apple products
Metal Shield Kit:
- Interchangeable shields available in various vibrant colors
- For Over-Ear Crossfade series headphones - Crossfade 2 Wireless/Wireless/M-100/LP2/LP
- Constructed from durable metal
- Personalization available at V-MODA.com
If you enjoyed this review, you might also like to read about the best gaming headsets under £100.