Welcome to today’s Huawei MediaPad T5 Review. This is an option if you are looking to buy a tablet, but we believe that there are better makes and models out there and here’s why…
Huawei MediaPad T5 Review
The Huawei MediaPad T5 Octa-Core tablet is a 10-inch device available at an attractive price point which features a better than full HD screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 which is IPS and laminated. The tablet runs Android 8 (current version Android 11). It has a part metal back, a reasonable thickness of just 7.8mm and weighs a respectable 480g. The right-hand side of the device has a power button and volume controls. The speakers are mounted on the bottom of the device.
- 【10.1" 1080P FULL HD DISPLAY】HUAWEI MediaPad T5 comes with 10.1", 1920 x 1200 IPS, 224 PPI screen, and 16:10 aspect ratio, bringing every moment to life and offering you a video feast all the time. Camera: 2MP Front Camera and 5MP Rear Camera Note: Item package contains contains both EU and UK plug
- 【DUAL STEREO SPEAKERS】It houses dual stereo speakers with HUAWEI Histen audio technology, delivering concert hall audio effect and providing with multi-layered and penetrating 3D surround sound.
- 【SLEEK AND STYLISH DESIGN】Elegantly designed with metal body, HUAWEI MediaPad T5 outstands for its luxurious look while its slimness, lightweight delivers a spectacular hand-feeling.
- 【OCTA-CORE PROCESSOR 】The powerful octa-core processor with a main frequency up to 2.36GHz gives you great performance while smoothly running multiple applications simultaneously. And the memory size is expandable up to 256GB with a MicroSD card. Connection: WIFI 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz/5GHz; BT 4.2; Support GPS, A-GPS
- 【WONDERLAND FOR YOUR KIDS】The Children's Corner includes lots of innovative games, and offers enhanced eye-comfort modes for your kids' eyesight health: posture guidance, blue light filter, limited using time.
Huawei MediaPad T5 Technical Specification
The technical specifications indicate that this is a low to mid-range device, and although it has an efficient Kirin 659 octa-core processor, this is paired with just 2GB of RAM. Benchmark testing indicates that this device performs reasonably well for web browsing, light gaming, and general app use, and is surprisingly better performing than some more recent devices. Internal storage is quite limited at just 16GB (of which 11GB is taken up by the operating system and other pre-installed software), although this is expandable with a microSD card of up to 256GB, however, apps cannot currently be moved to or run from the memory card so it can only be used for media and file storage.
There is a 5-megapixel rear camera and a 2-megapixel front camera, which is standard for tablets in this price range. Reports suggest that the rear camera is just about adequate, but who uses a tablet for photography anyway? The front shooter will be fine for social media use. This tablet has a reasonable range of connectivity options including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but no Cellular or NFC connectivity, nor does it have any GPS features.
Charging is via the older and slower USB2 standard using a micro-USB port, although both a charging cable and mains charger are included. The battery life is around 8 hours of standard use; however, the device takes 6 hours to charge. This length of charge time was standard a few years ago, however most modern devices can fully recharge in less than half this time even when using larger capacity batteries because they use more modern charging methods.
The display is clear and bright with a responsive touch screen and decent viewing angles and eye-care settings that adjust output to prevent fatigue. This tablet does not have any pen support for use with artwork. The display is surrounded by some large bezels which are unattractive and add unnecessary bulk to the device. When used to view videos the display is responsive and bright and performs very well with a decent resolution.
A major issue with Huawei devices running Android is that they are not fully compatible with the Google Play store. Huawei have their own app store; however, this is very limited. You could argue that Amazon Fire devices are in a similar position, however the app store and general Amazon eco-system that Amazon devices feature is much broader and far more polished than you will experience here, and often at a lower cost.
Huawei MediaPad T5 Summary
To summarise, although on paper this device has reasonable specifications, albeit with storage limitations that could normally be overcome with the addition of a storage card, the fact that only onboard storage can be used for apps, the slow charging speed and its appearance and design means that this is not the best device that can be recommended – there are better options even in this price range. It may be sufficient for use for basic internet browsing, using small non-intensive applications, or for use by children for light gaming and video streaming. The highlights include a good display, reasonable battery life, and a reputable manufacturer with potentially good reliability.
Alternative Product – Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Within that price range, you might do better going for the Sansung Galaxy Tab A8 as an alternative product. Galaxy Tab A8 has an 8-inch bright 1280×800 pixel display, with a 16:10 screen ratio for optimum viewing in both upright and horizontal positions.
- Premium, compact design: sleek metal back for a premium feel, available in either black or silver to fit your own style
- Designed for the whole family: slim and just 347 grams, children can carry it with ease, while adults can grip it in just one hand
- A screen you'll love to watch: Galaxy Tab A8 packs an 8-inch, bright 1280x800 pixel display, with a 16:10 screen ratio for optimum viewing in both upright and horizontal
- Better for sharing: Kids Home lets you shape a safe environment for children to explore
- What's in the box: Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 tablet, UK charger, user manual