The Google Nest doorbell is a smart device that enables users to see and speak with visitors at their doorstep. It also enables them to keep an eye on their home even when they’re away.
Google’s wireless video doorbell has been compared to the Ring and SkyBell video doorbells, as well as the SkyBell HD and the August Pro.
The Google Nest is somewhat similar to the Ring and SkyBell devices, because they all aim to provide home owners with a quick way to communicate with family, friends and visitors at their front door. However, the Nest also focuses on home monitoring in addition to home video.
Table of Contents
Google Nest Doorbell Device
The Nest line of smart home products is designed to make our lives easier and more efficient. The Google Nest doorbell continues this mission, although it’s not quite as extensive as the line of smart home products already released.
The video doorbell comes in a sleek and polished black design with a bright white LED light. It’s capable of broadcasting crystal-clear HD video using a 170-degree wide angle lens.
The Nest doorbell sends the live video feed to users’ smartphones and tablets. In addition, it also enables them to interact with visitors at their doorstep. It enables users to see, hear and speak with their visitors in real-time via the smartphone or tablet app.
According to Google, about a third of all home burglaries take place when nobody is home. The Google Nest doorbell aims to eliminate this risk by giving users an easy and convenient way to see who’s at the door.
Google Nest Compatibility
The Google Nest is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. It’s also compatible with the following devices: Chrome, Chromecast, OnHub, Google Home. It will also work with future products like the Google Assistant and the Google WiFi system.
Google Nest WiFI Connectivity
The Google Nest utilizes 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz WiFi connectivity to send live video to users.
It also comes with a built-in microphone and speaker for two-way audio communication.
The Nest doorbell is connected via power line, meaning it’s not attached to the doorbell switch. The device receives power directly from the home’s electrical lines for optimal performance and security. It also allows users to remove the device before selling their home, which some other doorbells on the market currently don’t allow you to do.
The Google Nest Doorbell Viewing Angle
The Google Nest Doorbell’s viewing angle is set at 170 degrees, just like the SkyBell HD and the Ring devices. The good news is that this is slightly wider than the 110-degree viewing angle on the August doorbell.
This means that users can see more of their front porch and yard from their smartphone or tablet app while at home, meaning they have a better view of any potential intruders.
The Nest doorbell also has a 720p HD camera, which is capable of capturing 720p HD video. It also enables users to capture still photos whenever they see fit.
The microphone and speaker on the device are pretty standard as well. Both are designed to capture loud sounds and enable 2-way communication with visitors in the event of an emergency. They’re also designed to ensure that users can speak clearly with their visitors through their smartphone or tablet app.
Google Nest Doorbell Features
The Google Nest doorbell features several convenient and innovative features. Some of the key features include:
- Live Video Streaming – This feature allows users to view live video footage of their front door from anywhere in the world using their smartphone or tablet. Users can also access archived video recordings as well. This means that users can check to see who was at their door while they were away at work, school or on vacation.
- Talk and Listen – Google’s Nest doorbell also enables users to talk and listen to their visitors in real time. This means that users can answer the door even when they’re not at home or talk to a visitor who forgot something before they leave.
- Motion Detection – The Nest doorbell also features motion detection technology. This means that it can send users notifications whenever someone moves in front of the camera’s field of view, enabling them to answer the door right away if need be. If the Nest detects an intruder, it will automatically alert users and send them a push notification with video footage.
- No Wiring Required – Google’s Nest doorbell also requires no wiring, unlike other doorbells on the market currently. Instead, it’s attached onto the home’s electrical lines for optimal performance and convenience. Users can simply remove the device if they decide to move or sell their homes in the future as well.
- Security – The Nest doorbell is also designed to be secure. When users receive a notification that someone has moved in front of the camera, they can instantly talk to them using the doorbell’s built-in microphone and speaker. They can even use the analytics feature to check out playback footage and see who their visitors were without ever having to step outside or leave their homes.
The Google Nest is compatible with Android phones running Android 5.