This size of television is optimal where the distance from the viewer is more than 5 feet – this allows the best possible experience when viewing 4K content. All the sets featured have 4K compatibility, a range of smart features, and can be wall mounted.
Table of Contents
HISENSE 55U7QFTUK Quantum Series
- QLED - Get closer to reality with over a billion true-to-life colours. A wider palette of colour ensures smoother gradients whilst reds, greens and blues appear more vivid and realistic.
- Dolby Atmos - Redefine your living room's sound with Dolby Atmos, immersing you in the action with powerful audio that flows all around you for the complete cinema experience.
- Full Array Local Dimming - Experience remarkable contrast with independently controlled dimming zones, enabling pinpoint detail in darker scenes and stunning brightness.
- VIDAA U 4.0 Smart TV - access Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Freeview Play and Rakuten with direct access keys on remote.
- Freeview Play - let's you enjoy the biggest shows, live and on-demand, all together in one place and all for free. With over 70 TV channels, 15 HD channels and seven on-demand players including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, and My5, that’s a whole lot of something for nothing.
The latest model in the Hisense Quantum series offers an extensive array of features and connectivity options which makes it competitive with some of the brands more traditionally associated with premium sets. It has a tiny bezel and a smart table-top stand which is centrally mounted making it suitable for use on surfaces that are narrower than the TV set. The QLED panel is capable of displaying over one billion colours which ensures smoother gradients and more vivid and realistic colour reproduction. Full array local dimming enhances contrast by having independently controlled dimming zones which enables pinpoint details to be perceptible in darker scenes. All HDR formats are supported, including HDR10+ and HLG and Dolby Vision is present. Alexa compatibility is built in.
This set has 4 HDMI ports, 2 USB, Antenna inputs for both terrestrial and satellite, AV in, optical out, headphone port, ethernet, and Wi-Fi / Bluetooth for wireless communication. The VIDAA U 4.0 smart TV system allows access to Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube and other services and the set is equipped with a Freeview Play facility. Sound quality is enhanced through the inclusion of Dolby Atmos.
Users report that this set has a good refresh rate and is suitable for gaming use with no perceptible motion lag and incredible colour reproduction. Some users have reported issues with the set requiring resetting because of software related issues, including failure to connect to some streaming services, and some customers have mentioned problems connecting to Bluetooth headphones.
Samsung 2020 55″ Q90T
- Bluetooth: Y
- Dimensions: 1226.6 x 795 x 236 mm
- Display Type: QLED
- Energy Rating: B
- Resolution: 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
The Samsung 2020 55” Q90T is the company’s flagship model and is powered by Samsung’s Tizen operating system. This is a minimalist set with extremely narrow bezels and a tiny desktop stand which is centrally mounted thereby making this set suitable for placement on a narrow surface. The screen is anti-reflection and is powered by Samsung’s Quantum Processor 4K which provides an adaptive picture option that continuously adjusts brightness levels to suit the ambience of the environment.
For connectivity, there are four HDMI ports with one dedicated to gaming devices, 2 USB ports, antenna inputs for both terrestrial and satellite use, optical input, LAN, and both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatibility. Unusually, there is no AV input, although such devices are infrequently used these days. The set is supplied with two remote control units – a basic unit for everyday functions, and a more advanced premium unit which includes additional features and voice control.
The sound has not been ignored – this set has six speakers and object tracking sound which creates an effect where sound seems to follow the action. The active voice amplifier enhances dialogue in scenes where it could be drowned out by background noise. The set is compatible with HDR10+ and has wide viewing angles with the ability to upscale content to 4K where required.
Users are impressed with both the picture and sound quality; however, some have mentioned the absence of Dolby Atmos support and have experienced issues connecting to certain sound bars due to eARC compatibility issues.
LG 55UN71006LB 55 Inch UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV
- Stunning 4K Ultra HD picture quality with sharp and detailed images
- Immersive sound quality (Ultra Surround)
- Stylish design and minimalist two feet stand
- Award-winning easy to use smart platform LG webOS
- To use Voice control, this requires the LG Magic Remote, which is sold separately
This LG model in ceramic black is a bargain priced 4k LED TV with a standard 60HZ refresh rate, however, despite this it is still very good for fast moving scenes and for use with game consoles due to some of the picture modes and enhancements available and a very low input lag. LG’s LED technology offers pure and realistic colours to give you an incredible 4K Ultra HD display. This LG also features WebOS which is LG’s award winning and simple to use smart platform which hosts all the most popular streaming services including Now TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, and Disney+. This is a slimline set with very narrow bezels featuring a two-pole stand which means that careful consideration is required of you intend to place it on a stand as the distance between the legs is large and a long stand will be required. The design and technology used in this set make it suitable for family or group viewing as it features a wide viewing angle so there is little degradation of picture quality or intensity for those positioned off centre.
Inputs / outputs include three 4K 60Hz compatible HDMI ports, 2 USB, optical, RF and SAT antenna inputs, LAN, composite AV, and headphone out, which should be sufficient for most needs. For wireless access this set includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connecting wireless headphones or speakers. Unfortunately, this set does not support the latest HDMI 2.1 standard, but this is normally only provided on more expensive sets anyway. An optional remote control with enhanced features and voice control is available if required.
Powered by an advanced quad core processor, this set has the full range of picture and sound enhancing features including upscaling of low-resolution content. Sound is better than most with a surround system built in and the ability to connect any Bluetooth enabled speakers wirelessly to enhance the spatial effect.
User reviews are mostly positive, especially with regards picture quality and range of features, however, some users have noted that some catch-up TV services that they normally use either not available or they suffer from software issues. Free Sat seems to have technical problems with frequent loss of signal reported. Some customers have claimed that their sets arrived with smashed screens, possibly due to poor handling, although this issue seems more prevalent with LG models than other manufacturers so it’s best to fully check the packaging before accepting delivery.
Philips Ambilight 58PUS8545/12 58-Inch LED TV
- Imagine a TV where the picture is larger than the screen. That is possible with 3-sided Ambilight and this 4K TV. Benefit from an extended screen and less eyestrain while watching TV.
- With a Philips TV, you see exactly how the director wanted you to see a movie. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos deliver brilliant contrast, brightness, colour, and sound.
- Thanks to the P5 Perfect Picture Engine and HDR 10+, colours are vivid, while skin tones look natural. With the 58-inch TV, crisp contrast and smooth motion are guaranteed.
- In addition to Android TV, the Philips Ambilight TV comes with Google Assistant and also works with Alexa. Easily voice control your TV and immerse yourself in the world of entertainment.
- Included in delivery: Philips 58PUS8545/12 58-inch LED television (2020/2021 model); remote control, batteries, power cord, quick start guide, legal and safety brochure, table top stand
Philips does not normally get as much attention as the likes of Sony, LG, and Samsung; however, it has a trick up its sleeve that differentiates it from other sets and that is their proprietary Ambilight technology. Ambilight illuminates the area surrounding the TV with light effects that mimic what is happening on screen which creates an attractive ambience than compliments on-screen action. This particular set has three-sided lighting, which is towards the middle of the range, with basic sets having only two sided and the most expensive having a full four-sided lighting. Not only does it create an attractive effect, but also reduces eye strain and makes for a cozy environment and can highlight room features if customized correctly.
The Ambilight feature on this model has various modes – you can get the light effects to follow either the video or the sound (pulsing effect), alternatively it can be set to a be a lounge light with a fixed colour, it can be controlled via an app, turned off completely, or, surprisingly, it can project the image of the flag of various countries onto the wall behind the set.
This 4K UHD Philips set has Android TV which means there are hundreds of applications that can be downloaded and some degree of futureproofing due to the ability to have firmware updates, although rollout of these is sometimes variable. This model has Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for excellent picture and sound, and all major streaming service have applications available. DTS Play-Fi is a feature that allows the sound to be played on any compatible speakers you have in any room. This set can be controlled using voice commands via either Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
This set is attractively designed with a metallic finish, light weight, and very slim bezel which makes it ideal for wall mounting. Inputs / outputs include four HDMI ports, 2 USB, optical, DVB-S and DVB-T antenna inputs (Freesat enabled), LAN, AV and headphone socket which should be sufficient for most needs. For wireless access this set includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connecting external sound devices such as speakers and headphones. This set can be wall mounted using a 200mm VESA mount. One thing to consider with Philips sets is that they often use slower processing technology than other manufacturers, and whilst this is not an issue when viewing programmes, it can sometimes feel a little sluggish when navigating through menus and settings and the start-up time can be a little slow.
Most users are satisfied with both the picture and sound quality and are impressed with the Ambilight effects. There are many positive comments about the operating system and the range of services on offer. Some users have experienced problems with the reliability of the Wi-Fi connection and there are reports that the sets software can be buggy, requiring occasional resets and often HDMI connected devices do not perform as expected until the set is restarted. Most of these issues could potentially be fixed with a software update.
Sony BRAVIA KD55XH81
- More colour, contrast and clarity: Our powerful X1 processor uses advanced algorithms to cut noise and enhance the picture whilst our 4K X-Reality Pro uses a unique database to upscale images even closer to 4K resolution**quality of upscaled picture will vary depending on the input source
- Vivid, real world colour: By widening the colour spectrum, our TRILUMINOS Display reproduces more colours than a conventional television
- With Dolby Vision, the KD-55XH81 provides a cinematic experience with stunning colours and excellent contrast. While Dolby Audio provides an immersive audio experience.
- Voice Remote and Google Assistant: Talk to the remote to find films and TV series, switch apps, have your questions answered, or even control other smart home devices, such as your smart lights; connect your Alexa-enabled devices to the KD55XH81 TV to control the volume and more using just your voice; access streaming services in an instant, including Netflix, Prime Video and Google Play Movies, or catch-up when it suits you best with On-Demand TV; display content from your smartphone, tablet and other devices with Chromecast built-in (Android or iOS) or Apple AirPlay (iOS).
- Beautifully designed: With its narrow bezel, a premium metal blade stand and the new premium aluminium remote, this flat screen 65 inch TV is luxurious and looks refined in any environment
The Sony Bravia KD55XH81 set uses LED technology with a high dynamic range and is 4K HDR10 compatible. Powered by Android, it has a huge range of services available which can be controlled using the voice activated remote control which also controls Alexa or Google Assistant enabled external devices. There is a big focus on online services here and this set even has a Chromecast feature built in.
This is a stylish set with narrow bezels, but it has separate metal blade feet on either end which are distanced apart so if you intend to place it on a surface it will need to be wide – this model is best wall mounted.. The remote control has quick access buttons for Google and Netflix and is an uncluttered design that is intuitive to use.
There are a whole host of picture enhancing technologies incorporated into this set, including “4K X-Reality PRO” which reproduces real-world detail and upscales lower resolution content to 4K, Triluminous technology which is powered by Sony’s X1 processor and reproduces life-like colour by widening the colour spectrum to encompass a range that is typically not found on other sets. This model has a native refresh rate of just 50Hz, however this can be enhanced by enabling Motionflow XR which reduces blur when viewing fast moving content and upgrades the refresh rate up to 400Hz. This is good in principle and benefits most program types, however, where fast paced sport is concerned it does not have the same effect as sets that have a 120Hz refresh rate. Dolby Vision uses HDR to bring scenes to life and creates a cinematic experience. For sound, there is Dolby Atmos compatibility which adds a multidimensional effect, and X-Balanced Speaker which Sony claim complements the TV’s design and drives out clear sound for movies and music.
Inputs / outputs include four 4K compatible HDMI ports, 2 USB, optical, DVB-S and DVB-T antenna inputs, LAN, and composite AV, which should be sufficient for most needs. For wireless access this set includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connecting wireless headphones or speakers. Voice control is available and most smart services including Alexa and Google Home are supported. Unusually, Chromecast is built in, making the process of casting from a mobile phone or other device far simpler than on other sets.
Users are impressed with the image quality, range of features, and its performance when used for gaming, especially with Sony’s own PlayStation 4. The impressively fast start-up time is a feature that is often commended. Some customers have reported issues with the responsiveness of the set and issues requiring frequent resetting.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Best 32” TV UK.